Why am I not busy?

I've been meaning to post an update on here for the past three days, but only now did I remember to keep my computer on me in order to accomplish it. I'm sitting in a cafeteria, surrounded by the noon-time crowd. My table is currently empty, which has been the norm so far. I don't mind so much, because it gives me an opportunity to catch up with the happy little messages on my phone. I find it interesting that everyone who I spent time with on a regular basis this time two years ago is now spread out, living all over the state. The drives between us are growing, and at the same time I find it easier to communicate. This must be what all this social media was made for. It hardly feels like I've moved an hour away from my home (and twice that distance from the others who have left) when it's so very easy to send a quick hello or even engage in a substantial conversation with just the push of a button.





It took quite a few things to ease my heart into leaving home. First of all, the promise that I could still return whenever I needed to. Second, of course, the companionship of technology's ability to keep me connected with the friends and family (and friends who have become family) that I love so much.
But more than anything, I was encouraged by the knowledge and continual assurance that this is where God wants me. I rest at night knowing that I am where I need to be. I don't think that there is any way that I could have come here if I didn't know that.

There is always that whisper of doubt, though. Not a doubt in God's sovereignty, but a doubt in my ability to discern His will. I've never been wholly sure of myself, but I've learned recently that if I do make a mistake and choose the wrong way, there is nothing that can happen that the Lord cannot redeem. No matter how distorted the path that I could choose, He is always there to pick me back up and lead me. I couldn't have made this journey without something absolute and sound and infallible to place my faith in. God has always been that, and if He did lead me here, then I have nothing to worry for.

I'm sure that as the days pass, my lunch table will no longer be empty, and the time between classes will no longer be dull and quiet. For now, that is how it is. I'm at peace, because my mere presence in this place is a reminder of all that God has done for me to get me here. He has opened and closed many doors, and taken care of everything that burdened me. I have no doubt in His faithfulness or His promise to always take care of me.

Now, to my precious friends either still at home or off on their own schooling adventures, I offer this little word that was given to me and fuels my spirit:

Remember who you are.





It started out as a feeling
Which then grew into a hope
Which then turned into a quiet thought
Which then turned into a quiet word
And then that word grew louder and louder
'Til it was a battle cry
I'll come back when you call me
No need to say goodbye

Just because everything's changing
Doesn't mean it's never been this way before
All you can do is try to know who your friends are
As you head off to the war
Pick a star on the dark horizon and follow the light
You'll come back when it's over
No need to say goodbye
You'll come back when it's over
No need to say goodbye

Now we're back to the beginning
It's just a feeling and no one knows yet
But just because they can't feel it too
Doesn't mean that you have to forget
Let your memories grow stronger and stronger
'Til they're before your eyes
You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye
You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye

Popular posts from this blog

Must be something about the spring

Every Captive Free

Why 14 year old me wouldn't recognize 20 year old me