Why I didn't post on "Best Friend Day"


In case you're not aware of all of these new "national holidays" (congratulations), they span in content variety and absurdity from national hug your cat day to CAPS LOCK DAY. The most recent was yesterday, National Best friend Day.




Now, I'm not about to preach from some bitter soap box about how this holiday is useless- on the contrary, I think it's a good idea, and I personally wish that I had paid more attention to it. I think it's fantastic to recognize the friends in your life, especially when they're as close as, or closer than family.

I've been blessed with many of this kind of friend, but if you were to peruse my social media pages, you wouldn't find a related post from yesterday. The more I think about it, the less proud I am of the reason why. It's not some rebellion against standardized days of recognition, or boycotting some conspiracy. It was more or less out of the fear of upsetting people.

Isn't that dumb?

I love making nostalgic photo collages, and I could've had a lot of fun putting one together yesterday, but I didn't, just because I was afraid of leaving someone out. I was afraid of people who weren't included being hurt, or of posting a picture of someone who didn't *gasp* consider me a best friend too.

I can hardly consider myself untainted by the social media culture of this generation when thoughts like this control my actions. I suppose these kinds of social dilemmas aren't new, but they're certainly not any more legitimate than they were before technology played such a huge role in our relationships. I suppose technology just makes these concerns more easily manifested.

Today, I'm not going to forsake trends because they're trends. I'm going to acknowledge my connection to the culture that I live in.

I know it's a day late, but happy Best Friend Day to these wonderful people:







Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.
Proverbs 29:25

Popular posts from this blog

Must be something about the spring

Every Captive Free

Why 14 year old me wouldn't recognize 20 year old me